THE GREATER SAN DIEGO WALK TO DEFEAT ALS IS ON SUNDAY OCTOBER 17, 2021
Please plan on "Walking Your Way" and making it a great day!
As of Septmeber 15, 2021, our Walk permit for De Anza Cove, Mission Bay is pending. Regardless of final permit status outcome, we continue encouraging all teams to plan for a Walk Day experience that is safe, fun, and meaningful wherever they feel best.
Safety for all is of utmost importance and if we do not get the permit or feel like we cannot provide an extremely safe experience, we will make the most of the situation and plan on going huge togeher in-person in 2022!
If our permit for DeAnza Cove is granted and we believe we can deliver a safe experience for all:
- We will move to an 'Open House' model where teams and participants can come enjoy our permitted space and walk route anytime of their liking between 8:00am-1:00pm.
- There would be music and a microphone for announcements but to eliminate gathering in a large group, there would not be an official Opening Ceremony. Rather, teams would arrive when they like, start when they like, walk as far as they like, and leave when they like.
- Teams and participants can pick up their t-shirts and Keys to Unlock ALS.
- All participants would be required to sign an additional waiver.
Our recommendation now through October 17:
- Please register your team and start your fundraising efforts. Register here.
- Think about what’s in the best interest of your team when it comes to the Walk Day experience. Some teams will walk at De Anza Cove regardless of permit status because it’s open to the public, other teams are planning to Walk Their Way in their local neighborhood or park. There was amazing creativity from teams in 2020 and we expect the same this year!
- Stay in the loop through social media by joining our Greater San Diego Walk Facebook Group here.
- Contact LeeAnn Casey email@example.com or Eric Andrews firstname.lastname@example.org anytime with any questions (858) 271-5547.
We have a higher goal than ever before and it’s important we start our recruitment and fundraising efforts now. Thank you Team Captains and Walk Participants for all you do to support the fight against ALS!
- Team Captain Walk Kick Off Open House is Saturday August 28, 2021,10:00am-2:00pm: ADA friendly, held at LifePro in Carmel Valley. Team Captains can pick up their Team Captain Tookit, really nice Thank You Gifts, and chat with ALS Chapter staff and other Team Captains. Complimentary lunch and drinks will be available, come anytime between 10am-2pm! 11512 El Camino Real, San Diego, 92130.
Team Captain and Fundraising Walker Collaboration & Trainings - these four meeting opportunities through Zoom are made available to help Team Captains and chapter staff share ideas and fundraising strategies to help us reach this year's Walk Goal of $350K - together we can do it! Email email@example.com for the links to join.
- Monday September 6, 2021, 4:30pm-5:00pm
- Tuesday September 14, 2021, 8:00pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday September 22, 2021, 8:30am-9:00am
- Thursday September 30, 2021, 7:00pm-7:30pm
Team Captain T-Shirt Pick Up Day - Sunday October 10, 2021 anytime between 10:00am-2:00pm. Location is Golden Boy Mobility located in Poway at 12130 Dearborn Pl, Poway, CA 92064.
Important Links & Fundraising Tools
Walker Handbook: Your go-to guide for everything Walk related. It contains interesting ideas, helpful tips, and chapter contact information.
My Walk Supporters Pledge Sheet: To help keep track of your donations!
Deposit Slip: Are you mailing any donations to The ALS Association before the Walk?
Ideas for your Walk
On Sunday October 17, you choose your own way to participate - whether it be a walk at De Anza Cove (using public space if we do not have a permit), strolling in your neighborhood, taking steps in the backyard, at a park, beach, or mountain hike, on a treadmill, or even surfing a few good waves or going for a drive. However you participate, please do so in a way that is both safe and meaningful for you and that abides by all local/most current health guidelines.
There were a ton of awesome ways teams Walked Your Way last year - whether we get a permit for DeAnza Cove or not, how do you envision participating in this year's Greater San Diego Walk to Defeat ALS on Sunday October 17?
Hiking Local Trails was where people and teams like Rich, Als Pals N Gals, Aztecs Fighting ALS Coach Mark's Team, and Courtney chose to Walk Your Way.
DeAnza Cove, Mission Bay, our usual walk location was not allowing event permits but was open to the public, allowing teams like Team Tough But Determined, Hope Walks, Team Jim Clint, and El Capitan to still enjoy the space.
Local Parks were popular meeting places for teams like CHP1035 Officer Needs Backup, All in for Ed, Las Racquelitos, and Always For Andy.
Beaches were the walk destination choice for many teams including Sonman's Sunwalkers, Team Gus, Andrea's Butterfly Army, and Team Dr. Dave.
Neighborhoods were the perfect walk location for teams including Herb's Giants, Team James Deakin, We Walk for Batman, Casey's Crew, and many others.
Meaningful Places with favorite views, family significance, or these of fond memories were the choice for many teams including It Takes A Village, Papa's Posse, Wally's Walkers, and Team Shirley.
Unique Walk Your Way ideas were walking through Balboa Park, riding a bicycle instead of walking, car parades, and walking with the support of co-workers were awesome ways to participate for teams like Northeimer's Nomads, Team Gus, ALong Side Us, and Kitchell SoCal CEM.
Participating From Afar was how some friends and family outside of San Diego still participated in the Walk including Bridie & Eddie supporting Team Matt Conlon all the way from County Mayo Ireland, and Never Lose Hope 2 having support in Springfield, IL.
Virtual Remembrance Pavilion
Each year, our Remembrance Pavilion honors those who have earned their wings. If you've lost someone to ALS, do not already have a photo in the pavilion and would like to participate, please email the picture you would like us to use: LeeAnn CAsey at firstname.lastname@example.org (858) 271-5547.
When our Walk is in-person, we display the framed photos on easels under a warmly decorated tent so that those who would like to visit the Remembrance Pavilion may do so.
Last year, without an in-person walk, we created an online version of the Remembrance Pavilion to keep the 20 year tradition going. We will do so again this year so anyone, anywhere, may still participate if they would like.
You can visit the online Remembrance Pavilion anytime, feel free to share with friends and family, and/or to make any comments you would like.
Message from Your Walk Coordinator
Hello everyone! We are so thrilled you are joining us for the Walk to Defeat ALS! Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have ANY questions! As a reminder, right now we are all planning to Walk Our Own Way just like last year - everyone was so creative and the Walk was still very successful! However, if our permit at DeAnza Cove is granted, and we can put on a safe experience down there for those that want to come, we will move forward with a modified Walk experience - we'll keep you posted!
The Walk to Defeat ALS is Sunday, October 17, 2021.
Hope to see you soon! xoxo, LeeAnn Casey email@example.com (858) 271-5547
Only participants who've raised $90 will get a t-shirt. This benefit is awarded to individuals, not teams or donors, so make sure the donations to your personal fundraising record add up!
In addition to working toward one for yourself, you should spread the word to encourage your friends, family, and coworkers to earn their very own shirt.
Make sure you become of a fan of our Chapter on Facebook to receive information about fundraising contests, shout outs to outstanding teams and walkers, and important Walk Day details!